Skip to main content

The Pianoist IV contd.

"This was why you despirately convinced me to come to church with you, thank you 'cos I wouldn't have met the Lord and, maybe, I would have ended up like Kizito and Lanre", Larry said.
"You are welcome, but thank the Lord the most for it was He who had it happen that way", I said. "Beyond that",I continued "I believe my first step to personal transformation began when I took a cue from Evangel's boldness to comfront my demons. I was insecure, afraid and selfish. I was a good actor too, all that ruthlessness and rugedity was a venier masking my inadequacies as a person. I could not show weakness in any way. As such, I denied me access to myself!"
"Hmmm, that must have been terrible for you", said Larry.
"Terrible is an understatement. I learnt on fundamental truth: what lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. I was empty, without a value system, without a core."
"What do you mean by 'core'? Larry asked.
"I mean what defines your very existence, what gives you your identity. I am refering to the source that substains the four dimensions of humanity, that is security, guidiance, wisdom and power."
"I am Larry Ekweme Richards, the son of Amadi Richards, that's who I am. These four dimensions you are talking about..."Larry was saying when I interjected.
"Ok, I'll slow down. Your identity has nothing to do with your family name or social status. It is you as a person. The things about you that makes us all see you as you. You have built your world around your family name 'cos that's your core, but I put it to you that a man's life is more than the image of his family."
"You envy the fact that I had a healthy family relationship right? Larry shot at me.
"You ended up in the skull clan with me and was gratifying thesame urges I was gratifying, or is that not what happened? I Shot back, blood rising to my face from impatience at his daftness. He was so close to seeing his deepest need and was just refusing to see it- or was that the case.
Silence.

Lord please help him see that he has to get his core fixed, his inner focus realigned... "I have made grace available for this moment", came the still small voice, comforting me.
"I'm sorry I misunderstood you. I had always felt my family never understood me eventhough I always got whatever I wanted. The skull clan was more family to me than my own family- or so I thought." Larry said apologetically. " I have never really seen anything beyond the image of my family. My family has been the template I interpreted life with, my wisdom is in my family, my security is in my family, my guidiance is in my family and that leaves me completely powerless."
"Good analysis", I said with a broad smile."I guess I do not need to explain the dimensions to you any more, you have so accurately accessed the situation."
"You think so? He asked.
"I know so" I said.

Lynn was leaning over the rail taking in the scenery and wondering what at this point we were talking about. "Lord help my man see waht he needs the most to see, I love him so much but I fear he can not be all that I can percieve he can be if he continues to see things the way he does", she prayed. Then she prayed in tongues for the next few minutes, interceeding for the one she loves. Lynn too had her own fair share of the batterings of life. Being a victim of repeated sexual and physical abuse form an uncle, she had lost her sense of self worth and friends became her centre. At this point in her life, acceptance became a big deal. All who accepted her were friends and those who didn't were foes. She was a reactor, volitile and vulnerable. Now this lady is a saved, sanctified tongue talking believer. She had become a great asset to Larry and he couldn't thank God enough for her...

To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Owner of the Office knows best.

Earlier this evening I decided to cook for the family. I wanted to prepare a local delicacy popular with the Enugu people of Eastern Nigeria. It is called Okpa. It is a pudding made from the flour of bambara nuts with palm oil, pepper and a little salt. You can add pepper to taste. My son is particularly fond of it. Well, my wife is the manager of the kitchen and the store. She went to church for clean up, leaving me and my boy at home. I decided to give her a helping hand. It was she who organized the store and it was she who really knew where what was kept. I invaded her office with good intentions. But you know how that saying goes that good intentions are not enough. I had never prepared Okpa myself but I have watched her do it several times. I can learn by observation so I knew what to do. I entered into the store and got the flour I used, combining it with the other ingredients and seasoning it to taste. It was going to be delicious and I felt proud of myself. I put it on the

Tests of purpose and vision- The sequel

Last time on this series, we examined four of twelve tests of purpose and vision- The test of apetite, pride, sex and money. Let's continue from where we stopped. As an addendum to the test of money, let me quickly say that most christians find it rather challanging to be faithful when it comes to money. Money is the only thing Jesus put in the god class when he said "you can not serve God and mammon". The problem believers have is the love of money which, as scriptures put it, is the root of all evil. We have seen (and we will always see) men do all sort of things for the sake of money. Believers have to be espeially areful in this area because what you do for immediate gain and satisfaction could cost you your destiny. Now to the next test- The test of Parenthood. Honour your parents (Eph 6:1-3). How you treat your parents affects your destiny either positively or negatively. The consequence of dishonouring your parents is not just a curse but the result of breaking

The Shift

Happy new year to all my esteemed readers around the world. We have, together, seen the end of the first decade of the 21st century and i have been doing alot of thinking and personal evaluation. I have come to the conclusion that there is a place where we are, or were, and there is a place where we ought to be, or are tending towards. One of the most significant things that will happen in the year 2011 is the shift. This shift will happen on a personal and global scale and the shaking will bring about mixed consequences. This shift i am talking about will be characterised by "seasons." Your control of your seasons will determine where you will end your shift process. There are certain things you must know about your season: every season has it's benefits no matter how gloomy every season has an opportunity for growth in all four dimensions of human consciousness viz: Imagination,conscience,will power and self awareness. You need the right tool to master your seaso