Skip to main content

The Owner of the Office knows best.

Earlier this evening I decided to cook for the family. I wanted to prepare a local delicacy popular with the Enugu people of Eastern Nigeria. It is called Okpa. It is a pudding made from the flour of bambara nuts with palm oil, pepper and a little salt. You can add pepper to taste. My son is particularly fond of it.

Well, my wife is the manager of the kitchen and the store. She went to church for clean up, leaving me and my boy at home. I decided to give her a helping hand. It was she who organized the store and it was she who really knew where what was kept. I invaded her office with good intentions. But you know how that saying goes that good intentions are not enough. I had never prepared Okpa myself but I have watched her do it several times. I can learn by observation so I knew what to do.

I entered into the store and got the flour I used, combining it with the other ingredients and seasoning it to taste. It was going to be delicious and I felt proud of myself. I put it on the fire to cook but after cooking I noticed it refused to set as it ought to.

It was she who served it. When I tasted it I noticed something was off. It was good, don't get me wrong, but it was good in a corn pudding kind of way and not in an Okpa kind of way. It was also too soft for Okpa and the color was slightly off. I wondered where I missed it. Everything seemed right but something was amiss. My wife too noticed it and after a brief period of thinking, she asked me which container I took the flour I used from. When I told her the one I took the flour from, she started laughing at me. She said that was wheat I used not flour from bambara nut which is what I was supposed to use. See me, see embarrassment!

Assumptions can be costly. They can belie your good intentions. Here was my assumption: I saw both containers but the one with wheat was low in content and the other was full. I thought both contained the same thing (their color was the same though the containers were different). I felt she had opened the first and given that she had made Okpa the week before, I supposed she got her flour from there. I went for it without asking. In the end I learnt that the owner of the Office knows where everything is and that I can mess things up if I work in that office without asking questions.

Often in life, we get into things without asking the right questions. Students take on examinations without asking those who have gone before them what they did to pass it. People enter into relationships and marriage without a proper understanding of what is involved. Employees take up new positions assuming they understand the job description. However, it is good to seek counsel. He who asks questions never misses the way. I would have successfully made Okpa if I asked which container held the flour I needed.

A lot of pain and struggle in different areas of life, a lot of painful disappointments and animosity and a lot of losses and tears can be avoided by asking questions. Experience has its relevance. It can never be replaced by skill and the absence of it or negligence of it, due to assumption, can make skill useless. I hope you found my little experience instructive. See you at the top.

Wordcompany
©️2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shift

Happy new year to all my esteemed readers around the world. We have, together, seen the end of the first decade of the 21st century and i have been doing alot of thinking and personal evaluation. I have come to the conclusion that there is a place where we are, or were, and there is a place where we ought to be, or are tending towards. One of the most significant things that will happen in the year 2011 is the shift. This shift will happen on a personal and global scale and the shaking will bring about mixed consequences. This shift i am talking about will be characterised by "seasons." Your control of your seasons will determine where you will end your shift process. There are certain things you must know about your season: every season has it's benefits no matter how gloomy every season has an opportunity for growth in all four dimensions of human consciousness viz: Imagination,conscience,will power and self awareness. You need the right tool to master your seaso

Test of Vision and Purpose.

What is Vision? VISION IS A MENTAL PICTURE OF A PREFERABLE FUTURE. It is the ability to see the end of a thing before the beginning. In Gen 1:26, God made male and female in his own image and likeness (all of this was in God's vision, these things were not yet in the physical, they were in the mental realm). In Gen 2, we begin to see how God actually carried out his mission to translate his vision into reality. I prophesy into your life that your dream will not die. If you can dream it, you can achieve it. We see how that there had to be a man to till the earth before seed could grow. What about the man in Genesis 1? He was in the vision realm then. God had to put adam into a deep sleep to produce Eve. What happened to the male and female in Genesis 1? Genesis chapter 1 is an account of the mental picture of the God of all creation, Genesis 2 shows us the process. God created time so that the things in the spritual can pass through the proess of manifestation. Every thing in the